Meet The Management Team
Team Qualifications & Bio's
Our team's ability to design and construct your project is based on cumulative decades of designing and constructing projects similar to yours.
RICOP Construction has the proven ability to handle large projects - and have won 15 American Buildings Company awards doing it. Our deep experience provides the technical know-how; our flat organization, ability to rapidly scale and leaner size (in comparison to our competitors) makes us more nimble to adjust to client needs and demands and keep client costs down.
Walter Beatty - President
Walt grew up in Pittsburgh. He attended the University of Pittsburgh where he pursued a major in Engineering. Walt has over 30 years of commercial construction experience. Prior to RICOP, Walt was Vice President of Amalgamated, a general contractor and developer.
While at Amalgamated, Walt oversaw the building of millions of square feet of warehouse and office space in the Columbus area. After leaving Amalgamated, Walt and a partner started RICOP Construction in 1990. Walt bought out the partner in 1991. Since then, RICOP has built for various industries, including: assisted living, auto dealerships, offices, retail, warehousing, light manufacturing, churches, hotel, higher education and schools.
RICOP eventually transitioned from some self-performance to strictly a managing general contractor. Over the years, RICOP has won 15 awards from American Building Company, a pre-engineered metal buildings company for whom we distribute. Walt brings a unique ability to get inside the customer's shoes and the customer's customers shoes, thinking through the form, fit and function of the facility. He asks questions to draw out how the building will be used, both now and in the future. Walt enjoys travelling, spending time with his family, fly fishing, and entering his 1934 Chevy Sedan in Muscle car shows.
Mark Ludwig - Vice President, Business Development
Mark's responsibility is to develop and execute the strategic marketing plan for RICOP, as well as new business development. He is also responsible for RICOP's customer satisfaction program and performance. Mark consistently contributes to improved productivity, brand recognition, record sales, significant revenue growth, cost management, operational enhancement and increased profitability through focused leadership, technology innovation and capacity to identify business needs before implementing viable plans and process improvements.
Mark is a proven executive level Construction Project Manager offering a strong history of successful commercial, medical and retail project experiences with 28+ years of experience in various sectors of the construction industry. His experience includes pre-construction services, design evaluations, project management, master planning, scheduling, value analysis, budget development/management purchasing and procurement. His business development responsibilities include customer relations, sales, and fostering of new business relationships.
Don Berger - Vice President, Operations
As a construction professional with 23 years of experience in construction management, estimating, business administration, and safety, Don possesses a diverse portfolio. As Vice President of Operations, Don works with our project managers, superintendents, Owners and other team members to ensure successful projects from design through closeout.
Doug Emert - Architect
Doug joined RICOP in February 2008. He received his Architectural degree from Ohio State University, and is a registered Architect in Ohio, West Virginia, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, Alabama and Texas. He has a broad range of experience, including deep experience in manufacturing facilities (many of which supplied the auto industry) and auto dealerships. Doug also has hands-on experience with residential, mixed use development, retail, hotels, and educational institutions.
Projects Doug has designed, either under RICOP or with other firms:
Education: Paint Valley High School, Paint Valley Middle School, Delaware Middle School, Dublin Elementary School, New Albany Middle School, OSU Center for Education and Economic Development
Hotels: Springhill Suites, Country Inns, Marriott Courtyard
Manufacturing: Manifold & Phalor, PK USA, Toyota Boshoku, Neturen IT Wire, Cardington Yutaka Technologies, Sanyo, Waltex, Canam Steel and Topre.
Auto Dealerships: McCluskey Chevrolet, Acura of Dayton, Matt Castrucci Honda, Matt Castrucci Nissan, Matt Castrucci Mazda, Glockner Chevrolet, Comtide Subaru, Comtide Nissan, Comtide Mazda, Nissan North, Saturn North, Tom Gill Chevrolet, Immke Honda and Midwestern Auto Group BMW-Mini.
Mixed Use, Residential and Retail: Compass Point Development, Shell Point Development, Island House 5, Brewmasters Gate Schematics, Bexley Gateway, Plaza Properties Design Center, Bonner Retail Center, and 5/3 Bank.
Holly Snow - Chief Financial Officer
Holly joined RICOP Construction in 2013 and brings with her many years of accounting experience, including the last 9+ years as a senior accounting professional. She has a documented record of success building sound operating and fiscal infrastructures, aggressively controlling costs, implementing solid internal controls, creating first-time tracking and analysis tools, and cutting budgets in half to ensure sustainability in adverse economic environments. Holly oversees all accounting functions including accounts payable, accounts receivable, job costing, general ledger, cash flow management and bank reconciliation.
Matt McBride – Project Manager
As a construction professional with 27 years of experience in Construction Management, Estimating, and Business Administration, Matt possesses a diverse portfolio of completed projects. He is licensed as a General Contractor in multiple states and brings with him years of experience working in a multiple state environment, managing several projects concurrently.
Relevant Projects Include:
- Al Smith Chrysler –Bowling Green, Ohio
- Allan Nott Honda –Lima, Ohio
- Car-X Automotive Service –Austin, Texas
- Tuffy Muffler –Dothan, Alabama
- Valvoline Oil Change –Akron, Ohio
- BP Oil Company – Multiple Locations
- The Children’s Place – Multiple Locations - Tenant build-out in several store locations including Grove City, Columbus, and Niles, OH
- Rue 21 – Multiple Locations - Tenant build-out in several store locations including Johnson City, TN, Beavercreek, OH, and Dayton, OH
- University of Louisiana-Lafayette – Lafayette, Louisiana - $1.25 million, 7,000sf new bookstore with fabric tensioned structure.
- First Baptist Church – Johnson City, Tennessee - $1.25 million addition to the existing building, addition of an elevator, sprinkler system and site improvements.
- United Methodist Church – Elizabethtown, Kentucky - $1.2 million new multipurpose building.
- New Jerusalem Cathedral – Greensboro, North Carolina - $1 million new multipurpose building including gymnasium, offices and kitchen.
- Walgreens Retail Center – New Albany, Ohio - This $2.4 million project included site development, 2 10,000 sf building shells, utilities, and paving.
- Belmont Casket Building – Columbus, Ohio - This project included $2 million of renovations to a 4-story shell building.
- Public Employee Retirement Office Tower – Columbus, Ohio - $3.3 million General Trades package for an 11 story office tower.
- Village Square – Columbus, Ohio - $750,000 addition to an existing retail center
- Wittmann Co. – Columbus, Ohio - Site work and improvements to existing building site. Sidewalk and curb replacement, brick pavers, storm drain additions, streetscape work, ADA ramps and other misc. work.
- Bonnie Bell Cosmetics – Avon, Ohio - This project was a new addition to a manufacturing facility.
- Tractor Supply Company – Multiple Locations - 33 locations across the US that ranged in value from $300,000 to $500,000. Average store size was 10,000 sf.
Jason Bailey - Project Manager
Jason brings 15+ years of experience to RICOP Construction. He has held many positions in the industry including Quality COntrol Manager, Project Engineer, Superintendent and Laborer in both commercial construction and residential construction. Jason's main respondibilties include researching and helping Owner's through all special requirements that their projects will face in order for construction to begin and taking care of all permitting and city/township requirements through design.
Relevant Projects Include:
- Lindsey Automall - Columbus, Ohio
- Manifold Phalor, Inc. Phase II - Canal Winchester, OH
- Valentine Buick GMC - Fairborn, Ohio
- Parkway Nissan - Dover, Ohio
- Warner GMC & Nissan – Findlay, Ohio
- Tri-Star Nissan – Uniontown, Pennsylvania
- McCluskey Chevrolet – Cincinnati, Ohio
- Ricart Mega Mall – Columbus, Ohio
- Troutwine Chevrolet – Arcanum, Ohio
- Reichard Buick GMC – Dayton, Ohio
- Harry Green Nissan & Chevrolet – Clarksburg, West Virginia
- Ferris Toyota Chevrolet – New Philadelphia, Ohio
- Wharton Nissan – Parkersburg, WV
- Hittle Buick GMC – Greenville, OH
- Rodney Cobb Chevrolet – Eaton, OH
Don Steen - Estimator
Don has handled the estimating responsibilities since 1999, as well as occasionally serving as a Project Manager in the field. Don's meticulous attention to detail is beneficial for reviewing plans and putting customer budgets together. He says he really enjoys working with owners in the Design/Build phases of projects.
He grew up in Lancaster, Ohio, where he currently resides. Don's favorite pastimes include spending time with his wife and kids, riding quads and restoring old muscle cars.
Don Castle - Estimator
Don joined RICOP Construction in 2014 with over 15 years of Project Management / Estimating experience dedicated to completing high-quality, profitable construction projects, safely, on-time and within budget. He has an extensive 30 year commercial construction background with extensive expertise in positions ranging from Carpenter to Field Superintendent to Estimator and Project Manager.
Don has managed numerous types of construction projects to successful completion. He is an expert in project management, material and labor takeoffs, design review, design recommendations, value engineering, scope review and subcontractor contract negotiations.